It’s not everyday one witnesses over 112,000 men dressed to the nines on their classic and vintage motorcycles; in fact, it happens only once a year (to our knowledge). This year’s 2018 Distinguished Gentlemen’s Ride—or the DGR—took place in honor of The Movember Foundation, which backs prostate cancer research and men’s mental health. Supporting the memorable and headline-making cause for the third year in a row is luxury watch manufacturer Zenith, simultaneously celebrating the release of its Pilot Type 20 Chronograph Ton Up Black—the official watch of the event.
The DGR has raised over $13 million to date, as it is one of the biggest charity fundraisers for men’s health in the world. This year, it took place in a whopping 648 cities across 102 countries across the globe, with the aim of adding an additional $6 million to the cause over the course of approximately two weeks. In New York, the DGR included notable attendees including founder Mark Hawwa, CEO of Zenith Julien Tornare and friends of the brand, such as Dimitri Coste—official photographer of the event—and Ed Kavishe—fashion blogger. Team Zenith was impressively the largest group to participate and one of the top fundraising teams.
To celebrate the occasion, the brand launched its Type 20 Chronograph Ton Up Black watch. The watch is an ode to the café racer biker community—or the Ton Up boys—a masculine and minimal style with a 45mm aged stainless-steel case, a matte dial and a matching black case with an etching of a café racer on his motorcycle. Additionally, the nubuck leather strap has a rubber lining and a titanium buckle, both further protecting the piece from external factors. The watch is driven by the brand’s signature in-house El Primero automatic 4069 calibre, functioning at 5Hz (or 36,000 VpH), giving it a distinctive sporty personality.
Zenith also released a special five-piece limited edition version of the watch, further embellished with a DGR engraving, dial inscription and a customized strap. Three of the pieces are reserved for the three overall largest fundraisers, as well as the most successful Team Zenith fundraiser and to the winner of the prize draw among all DGR participants.
Pilot Type 20 Chronograph Ton Up Black – The Technical Details
- New aged stainless steel 45mm case
- Tribute to the Café Racer Spirit
- Automatic El Primero column-wheel chronograph
- El Primero 4069, Automatic
- Calibre: 13.25″ (Diameter 30mm)
- Movement thickness: 6.6mm
- Components: 254
- Jewels: 35
- Frequency: 36,000 VpH (5Hz)
- Power reserve: Min. 50 hours
- Finishes: Oscillating weight with “Côtes de Genève” motif
- Hours and minutes in the center
- Small seconds at 9 o’clock
- Chronograph: Central chronograph hand & 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock
- Diameter: 45mm
- Diameter opening: 37.8mm
- Thickness: 14.25mm
- Crystal: Domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Case-back: Case-back with Café Racer Spirit engravings
- Material: Aged stainless steel
- Water-Resistance: 10 ATM
- Dial: Matte black
- Hour-markers: Arabic numerals with white SuperLumiNova SLN C1
- Hands: Gold-plated, faceted and coated with SuperLumiNova SLN C1 (Hands)
- Bracelet: Black oily nubuck leather strap with protective rubber lining
- Buckle: Titanium pin buckle
For more information, please visit the brand’s website. All images courtesy of Zenith.